NOVEMBER 2013

Greetings from the University of Kansas School of Law!

Thanksgiving gives me another excuse to express my gratitude to our generous alumni. Earlier this month, we hosted a Student Scholarship & Donor Recognition Reception. The large turnout among students exemplified the incredible scholarship support we’re able to offer through private giving. At our annual Legal Career Options Day on Nov. 7, more than 75 attorneys and business leaders from law firms, courts, agencies and businesses spoke with our students. Perhaps you can spot yourself in photos from the event. Thank you for giving so freely of your wisdom, talent and treasure.

Stephen W. Mazza
Dean and Professor of Law

KU Lawyers: Ready to work

A new brochure from the Career Services Office makes the case for why employers should hire KU Lawyers.

Graduates of KU Law learn under the guidance of top faculty with leading national reputations; they develop the craft of the working lawyer through deposition, expert witness and other skills courses; and then they bring those talents to bear in the real world through our nationally ranked clinical programs.

Simply put: When KU Lawyers join an organization, they are ready to think, act and work as lawyers from day one.

Read the brochure to learn more about the depth and value a KU Lawyer can bring to your team.

From liberal arts to law: Judge Karen Arnold-Burger

For KU liberal arts and sciences alumni who have gone on to legal careers, the combination of liberal arts and law has led to unique opportunities that make their careers perpetually interesting and rewarding.

The College of Liberal Arts & Sciences caught up with a few alumni to see how the two have worked together in their careers, including Judge Karen Arnold-Burger, L’82, of the Kansas Court of Appeals.

This is what she said about why she chose to attend law school:

“What attracted me then is the same thing that keeps me energized every day now. As a lawyer you get to help people, of course. You get to be an agent for change in your community, which is also great. But more importantly, you get to be a lifelong learner. In any given day or week, I may have a contract case that requires I learn about how a construction project works and the agreements made that govern that work. Next I may have a medical malpractice case that requires I learn about some medical ailment and its treatment. Then I am required to turn to a criminal case where I must apply the constitution and examine the intent of our fore fathers and its historical context. So I have the privilege and the honor of having an opportunity to learn something new with each and every case.”

Read the full story on the CLAS blog

KU Law faculty in the news

Following is a sampling of recent national, regional and local news stories featuring KU Law faculty experts. For a more comprehensive list of faculty media placements, visit Faculty Media Coverage on the KU Law website.

Quinton Lucas argued for the “no” vote in a Kansas Public Television debate about Jackson County’s half-cent sales tax for medical research: KCPT

Rick Levy provided context in TIME magazine’s coverage of state efforts to nullify federal gun laws, pointing out that such efforts have historically failed: TIME online

Mike Hoeflich discussed his article, “From Scriveners to Typewriters: Document Production in the Nineteenth Century Law Office,” which explores the history of the scrivener in American law offices and how advancing technology eliminated the profession and changed the practice of law: KU Today

Derrick Darby wrote a column about why civil rights activists still march on Washington, D.C., 50 years after the first March on Washington, where Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. delivered his historic “I Have a Dream” speech in 1963: Huffington Post

Fleeson Gooing firm renews commitment to KU Law scholarship

One hundred years after its founding in 1886, the Wichita law firm of Fleeson, Gooing, Coulson & Kitch LLC established a scholarship in 1986 to express “its strong appreciation for the University of Kansas School of Law.” The firm recently made a $25,000 gift to show its ongoing support for KU Law students.

“As members of Wichita’s oldest law firm, we are constantly reminded of how much we have benefitted from those who practiced before us and mentored us, and we feel a corresponding obligation to make it possible for others to follow us into the practice of law,” said David Seely, L’82, who practices civil litigation at Fleeson.

About one-third of the 27 attorneys at Fleeson are KU Law grads.  

“Many of us received scholarships at KU and other law schools that encouraged us and enabled us to pursue our studies,” Seely said. “We are pleased that we have an opportunity to offer similar encouragement and support to current students.”

Make a gift

Alumni news

Joseph F. Speelman, L’74, spoke at the 2013 International Corporate Counsel College in Paris, France and moderate the Cyber Risks and E-Privacy panel that discussed key business, government and legal issues affecting all business enterprises in the EU and provided insight on the increasing risks associated with the world’s reliance on electronic technology. Speelman is an attorney with Blank Rome LLP in Houston.

Teresa J. James, L’84,
Shawnee, has been appointed a United States magistrate judge for the District of Kansas in Kansas City, Kan. James was formally with the law firm of Martin, Pringle, Oliver, Wallace & Bauer LLP.

Joan Gummels, L’88,
has been appointed general counsel of the Missouri Attorney General’s Office. Gummels has served three Missouri attorneys general, working in several divisions of the office including Litigation, Criminal Appeals and Governmental Affairs. Since 2012, she has been director of policy and communications.

Angela S. Taylor, L’99, has been elected shareholder at Polsinelli in Kansas City, Mo. Taylor specializes in loan enforcement.  

Catherine E. Barker, L’01,
has joined the law firm of Gevurtz Menashe in Portland, Ore., and will handle family law related matters in Oregon. Barker spent seven years practicing family law in Kansas before returning to Portland.

Lindsay Poe Rousseau, L’03, has been named budget director of Sedgwick County, Kansas. She started with Sedgwick County in 2010 as a budget analyst and has been serving as interim budget director. Previously, she was a performance auditor for the Kansas Legislature.

Kelly D. Stohs, L’03,
has been elected shareholder at Polsinelli in Overland Park. Stohs specializes in commercial litigation.

Andrew J. Nazar, L’05,
has been elected shareholder at Polsinelli in Kansas City, Mo. Nazar focuses his practice on bankruptcy and restructuring.

Jenny Calvert, L’08, recently joined Hill, Kertscher & Wharton LLP in Atlanta as an associate.  

Megan Sterling Monsour, L’08,
has been elected a Fellow of the American Academy of Adoption Attorneys. Monsour is one of the youngest members to be elected to the organization and one of only a handful of members practicing in Kansas. She practices at Martin Pringle’s Wichita office.

Report your alumni news at law.ku.edu/keep-touch. Have a story of interest to fellow alumni? Contact Mindie Paget at mpaget@ku.edu or 785-864-9205.

The University of Kansas prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, religion, sex, national origin, age, ancestry, disability, status as a veteran, sexual orientation, marital status, parental status, gender identity, gender expression, and genetic information in the university's programs and activities. The following person has been designated to handle inquiries regarding the non-discrimination policies: Director of the Office of Institutional Opportunity and Access, ioa@ku.edu, 1246 West Campus Road, Room 153A, Lawrence, KS 66045, 785-864-6414, TTY 711.

University of Kansas School of Law

The University of Kansas School of Law, 1535 W. 15th Street, Lawrence, KS 66045