University of Kansas School of Law

JANUARY 2014

Greetings from the University of Kansas School of Law!

Happy New Year! I hope your 2014 is off to a great start. Here at KU Law, we are busy recruiting next year’s entering class and helping 2013 graduates secure jobs. We’re approaching the latter task with particular immediacy as the February 15 deadline for reporting employment numbers to the American Bar Association approaches. We hope to build upon our success with the Class of 2012. This issue of the Dean’s Note illustrates how rigorous intellectual preparation and real-world experience transform KU students into KU Lawyers who are ready to think, act and work for your organization from day one.

Stephen W. Mazza
Dean and Professor of Law

Graduates of KU Law enter the legal profession with the ideal balance of intellectual depth, practical knowledge, and real-world experience.

CASE STUDY
Rebecca Howlett, L’14

“The more challenging a class is, the more worthwhile it is for me in the end. Professor Warner’s Federal Indian Law course was one of my favorites. She wants to hear your opinion. She wants you to question the status quo. That class forces you to look beyond what you’ve learned and truly grapple with how you will approach the field in practice. That kind of real-world preparation has been invaluable to me.”

Summer internship:
Kanji & Katzen PLLC, Seattle, WA

PRACTICAL EXPERIENCE
Tribal Judicial Support Clinic
Kansas Law Review
Mentor Law Group PLLC (Seattle)
Kanji & Katzen PLLC (Seattle)
Kansas Native American Affairs Office (Topeka)

ACADEMICS
class hours/week
study hours/week
SERVICE
Dean’s Fellow (mentor)
Environmental Law Society
Native American Law
Students Association
Women in Law

When you hire a KU Lawyer, you hire a professional who has translated academic coursework into practical know-how, giving her the skills to depose witnesses, manage clients, negotiate deals and argue before judges.

9th Circuit Court of Appeals, Phoenix, AZ
Judge Mary Murguia, L’85

“I continue to be impressed by the caliber of the clerks KU Law produces. It is evident that the faculty focus on teaching their students the fundamental skills that are critical to success in any legal environment. I look forward to working with KU Law graduates because I know they will produce careful, top-quality work.”

International Moot
Court Competition in
Information Technology
& Privacy Law champions
(2011)
2x
International finalists in both
the Jessup International &
European Law Students’ Association
WTO moot courts
(2013)
Best briefs in both
Wechsler National Criminal
Law & Mardi Gras Sports
Law moot courts
(2012)

CASE STUDY
Xavier Andrews, L’14

“I take seriously the discretion and responsibility that I have as a prosecutor in training. Our main goal is to seek justice, and putting somebody in jail is not always justice. Sometimes that might be getting someone into a rehabilitation center or enrolling them in an anger management class. I have a broader obligation as a prosecutor to serve the public good.”

Summer internship:

Johnson County DA, Olathe, KS

INTERESTS
Public Law / Litigation

MOOT COURT
Among top finishers,
In-House Moot Court

Set to compete in 2014
Thurgood A. Marshall
Memorial Moot Court

ACADEMICS & WORK

20 study hours/week
12 class hours/week
20 moot court hours/week
20 work hours/week
4 hours/week BLSA

When you hire a KU Lawyer, you hire a professional with real-world experience, acquired through a nationally ranked clinical program, internships with firms and agencies, and judicial clerkships at the trial and appellate levels of federal and state courts.

distinct clinics
and externships
offered
clinical/externship positions
filled by students
(2012-13 academic year)

students obtained limited
admission to the bar
to practice in Kansas

CASE STUDY
Anna Kimbrell, L’14

“Last summer I traveled to New York City with a team of attorneys to close a wind energy deal valued in the hundreds of millions. We spent a week in a conference room working the deal with only a few hours of sleep each night. I was able to sit in on negotiations between the heads of two multi-national, multi-billion dollar companies, as well as representatives from JP Morgan and other major banks. It was amazing to get that experience as a first-year summer associate.”

Summer internship:

Husch Blackwell LLP, Kansas City, MO

SCHOLARSHIP
hours/week
KS Law Review
published
articles
ACADEMICS
JD – MBA

Certificate
in Business &
Commercial Law

A KU Lawyer’s intellectual depth and practical know-how are tested and refined in real-world experiences. Equipped with this intense training, KU Lawyers offer immediate value to you and your clients.

CASE STUDY
Nick Puckett, L’15

“I want to end up in a smaller community where I can get to know people, build strong relationships and be a leader. Beyond conducting research and drafting documents, my time at a small firm in Salina, Kansas has allowed me to learn the business of running a law practice. I know these skills will be invaluable assets in my career.”

Summer internship:

Brown & Vogel Chartered, Salina, KS

SERVICE
U.S. Army & National Guard
Federalist Society Vice President
Little League Baseball Coach

SCHOOL & WORK

Oklahoma | Florida
Hawaii | Iraq | Kansas
ACADEMICS & WORK
study hours/week

class hours/week

Partner, Baird Holm LLP, Omaha, NE
Kelli Lieurance
“Baird Holm has nothing but the greatest success with its attorneys from KU Law. Not only are KU Law students and graduates intelligent, but they are armed with those intangible skills that are essential for client communication, business development, and internal leadership. In brief, KU grads just ‘get it.’”

What are you waiting for?
Contact us to hire a KU Lawyer.

Arturo Thompson, Assistant Dean for Career Services
784-864-9257 | arturot@ku.edu

Leah Terranova, Director, Career Services
784-864-4357 | leaht@ku.edu

LaVerta Logan, Assistant Director, Career Services
784-864-4377 | laverta@ku.edu

View our complete employers’ guide to KU Law

The University of Kansas prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, religion, sex, national origin, age, ancestry, disability, status as a veteran, sexual orientation, marital status, parental status, gender identity, gender expression, and genetic information in the university's programs and activities. The following person has been designated to handle inquiries regarding the non-discrimination policies: Director of the Office of Institutional Opportunity and Access, ioa@ku.edu, 1246 West Campus Road, Room 153A, Lawrence, KS 66045, 785-864-6414, TTY 711.

University of Kansas School of Law

The University of Kansas School of Law, 1535 W. 15th Street, Lawrence, KS 66045